The benefits of side sleeping are quite many, as you probably already know. A good pillow can go a long way in helping you get a good night’s sleep.
The pillows for side sleeping is different from that of back or stomach sleepers. A side sleeper pillow has a high loft which provides support between the head and shoulder or neck area. So, it’s important to choose a pillow with the right balance of soft and supportive.
In this article, I will show you some of the benefits of side sleeping, how side sleeper pillows work and how to choose the best pillows for side sleeping. I also included a few examples of good-side sleeper pillows.
What is side sleeping?
Side sleeping is a sleep position where a person lies on their side with their head facing down, their chin resting on their chest, and their arms resting by their sides
What is a side sleeper pillow?
A side sleeper pillow is a pillow designed to support the head and neck while sleeping on one’s side. The pillow is often wedge-shaped, with a gradual slope from the wide end to the narrow end. This design allows the head and neck to rest in a neutral position, which decreases the chances of experiencing pain in those areas.
The benefits of a side sleeper pillow
Side sleeping is one of the more common sleeping positions. It’s used by about 40% of the world’s population, but it’s not the most popular.
The benefits of side sleeping are many. Here are a few of the benefits of sleeping on your side.
- Side sleeping helps keep your spine in alignment, which can help reduce pain in the neck and shoulders. It also helps to keep your airways open, which can help to reduce snoring and sleep apnea.
- Side sleepers might find that they have less back pain than people who sleep on their backs because they don’t have as much pressure on their spinal column.
- Side sleeping can be beneficial for pregnant women because it can help relieve heartburn and back pain during pregnancy.
- Side sleeping also helps babies get used to being born head down instead of the breach (when their bottom is up by their head).
- It also helps to keep your airways open, which can help to reduce snoring and sleep apnea.
- Another benefit of using a side sleeper pillow is that it can help to reduce the risk of developing wrinkles. When you sleep on your side, your face is constantly pressed against the pillow, which can cause wrinkles over time. Using a suitable side sleeper pillow can prevent this from happening by keeping your head in a neutral position. Read more about how a side sleeping pillow can prevent wrinkles.
How does a side sleeper pillow work?
The main purpose of using side sleeper pillows is to give your body the proper support it needs while sleeping on your side. Because, A side sleeper pillow allows the head and neck to rest in a neutral position, which decreases the chances of experiencing pain in those areas.
There are many different types of side sleeper pillows available on the market today, but they all have one thing in common: they’re designed with comfort in mind.
If you suffer from shoulder pain or pinched nerves from leaning against your mattress all night long, then a contoured pillow may be best suited for you. These pillows allow you to keep your spine aligned properly while sleeping on your side.
How to choose the best side sleeper pillow
If you sleep on your side, the following tips should help you choose the right side sleeping pillow.
- Go for a pillow that can provide adequate cushioning to support your head and neck. Pillows that either sink too deeply or feel too thick can interfere with spinal alignment, and neck and shoulder aches typically occur as a result.
- Pillows that are too thin or soft may cause you to roll onto your back as you sleep, which is why it’s important to choose one that offers the right level of support for your body type and sleeping position.
- Again, it’s also important to consider the height of your mattress when choosing a pillow. If you have a high-rise bed, then choose one that provides enough loft so that your head doesn’t sink into the mattress during the night.
- On the other hand, if you have a low-rise bed, then look for something that’s lower in profile so it doesn’t push up against the headboard.
7 examples of the best side sleeper pillow
There are many different types of pillows on the market, so it can be difficult to determine which one is right for you, nevertheless; here is a list of 4 best side sleepers.
|Eli & Elm Organic-Cotton Side-Sleeper Pillow
|Maximum Comfort and Breath-Ability
Note: The Latex fill is removable for customizable firmness.
|View on Amazon
|Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
|Color: Blue & white
Note: Polyester microfiber and high-density memory foam.
|View on Amazon
|MedCline Shoulder Relief Wedge Pillow
Note: Made specifically for Pain relief & comfort
|View on Amazon
|Clara Clark Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
|Note: Memory Foam and Bamboo fabric
|View on Amazon
1). Eli & Elm Organic-Cotton Side-Sleeper Pillow
Eli & Elm is the ideal pillow for people who like to sleep on their side. The organic-cotton cover and high-quality down alternative filling make it soft, comfortable, and supportive.
It also helps to keep your head and neck in alignment, which can reduce snoring and improve your overall sleep quality.
2). Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
The Core Products Tri-Core Pillow is an orthopedically designed pillow that is made to support the head, neck, and shoulders.
It is made with a contoured foam center designed to cradle the head and neck. The memory foam outer layer helps provide comfort and conforms to the shape of your head and neck.
3). MedCline Shoulder Relief Wedge Pillow
The MedCline LP – Shoulder Relief System is a wedge pillow that helps relieve pain in the shoulders and upper back for those who sleep on their side.
Medcline LP Pillow is notable for the following benefits:
- It helps you sleep comfortably on your side by reducing pressure on the shoulders and upper back.
- It has a hole for your arm to go through when you’re sleeping, which reduces shoulder pressure even more. You can use this hole to put your hand, arm, or elbow through so that it doesn’t bend at all while you sleep.
- It has a removable cover that’s easy to clean and can be machine washed.
- It is made of foam, which is comfortable and durable.
4). Clara Clark Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Clara Clark is a well-known and respected brand for bedding products. The company’s shredded memory foam pillow is one of its most popular items.
The pillow is made of shredded memory foam, which makes it adjustable to your desired firmness. It also has a cover that is made of bamboo viscose, which makes it cool and soft.
In addition, the pillow tends to maintain its firmness even though it’s memory foam, it doesn’t seem to trap heat, which is important for a comfortable sleep.
In conclusion, a side sleeper pillow is a great choice if you sleep on your side. It is designed to provide support between the head and shoulder or neck area, which helps to prevent pain and discomfort.
Some of the benefits of a side sleeper pillow are:
– Reduced pain and discomfort in the neck, shoulder, and back
– Improved sleep quality and duration
– Reduced snoring and other breathing problems.